1) Steam the mussels in a large pot with the mussels about 3/4 and with about 1/2” of water on the bottom of the pot on very high heat. Do not remove the lid until the foam reaches the lid. Once the foam reaches the lid, remove the lid for a moment and fan the foam down. Put the lid back on and let the foam reach the lid one more time, then rinse the mussels under cold water to cool them down a bit. After cooling slightly, take the mussels out of the shells and rinse the meats in a strainer.
2) Cover a tray in your smoker with non-stick aluminum foil and spread the mussels out on the tray. Using a very low heat, smoke the mussels for 1.25 to 1.5 hours.
Theo Tip:"For smoking I use a mix of cherry and maple wood. Add a bowl of water in the smoker to prevent the mussels from drying."
3) After about 90 minutes, place the mussels in a large bowl. Add a little kosher salt, a good quality oil and spices of your choice to taste.
Theo Tip: "I add crushed pepper, garlic powder, chives, rosemary, basil, thyme, tarragon, parsley flakes, and celery seed, rainbow peppers to add some color and some bay leaves. Don’t overdo any of the spices, but it’s fun to add lots of flavors."
4) Add some hot pepper sauce. Mix everything together and place it in the fridge for a day to let the spices mix in.
5) Serve at room temperature. The mussels can keep for many days, if you have self discipline!